Saturday, October 10, 2009

Handphone-less

I was given a link to a post written by someone quite important in USM (who, I don't know wo...). Here's the extract of the post:

Kampus Sejahtera gets roped in for many things, many of which I have no resource to follow up - so, I say no.

This one, I think I can't squirm my way out. My wife told me yesterday that I used only about RM4-RM5 worth of calls on my mobile but pay RM30 per month for the service. "Happily" my children now get to enjoy my unused credits because "we are family". Should we be happy? Probably not, since it means my children will be getting more radiation from the handphones. Well, actually, they are not using more but we will be paying less because of the package. But that's not the point of this post. The point is : do you know enough about the hazards of handphone usage? And what should you or can you do about it?

Now, think, can you imagine not being about to get a good reception for your handphone while on campus. I can remember the good old days when these strange people will be walking aimlessly around the room, pointing their "remote-control" (handphone lah) in various directions trying to catch the signal. "Try near the window", someone will helpfully advise. Well, those days could be back soon on campus.

I can tell you that the decision has been made to eventually phase out the telco towers on campus. Is the decision final? Can you still influence and reverse that decision? Do you know enough to support or oppose the decision?

I have asked a few students, and almost all say its a stupid idea (to shutdown the telco towers). My three children (and I think wife) share similar sentiments. Others however think that if there are viable alternatives, like superfast WIFI and landlines, they can live without the handphones.

So, what's the problem with the handphones? Radiation coming directly from your handset when you are talking on the phone - right into your brain. Any proof? Well, I have asked my son to do some detective work (he's studying to be a telco engineer; maybe). Also, there's talk about lowering sperm count. If you have some concrete proof, send them to me.

The idea of getting rid of telco towers in campus is super stupid. Imagine bot being able to call and talk with your families and loved ones while inside the campus or can't received their calls when there's something bad happened in the family. Or there's an accident inside campus but you can't call 999. Troublesome thing it'll be when there's no phone connection.

The thing about upgrading the WiFi service is pure bullshit. There's a limitation in our connection. No matter how great you upgrade the WiFi, there's still the chances of not able to access it. And WiFi is not phone as not everyone owns a laptop and not everyone knows how to use Internet. My parents surely don't know how.

There's a risk in everything we do. There's the possibilities of getting in an accident when you're in a car. Does that means you're not driving? Eating might leads to food poisoning, so, you're not eating?

I don't know. Maybe I'm too used of having handphone on my pocket, ready for action when needed to. However rare I used it, I still have it by my side. I guess it's the 21th century effect. What do you think?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha well we are no longer in the 80s, where public phones are very much appreciated back then. it is very inconvenient without the signals and yes. handphone is important to cheat in exams! haha anyway what's the issue now?


[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

成亿 said...

err...i think something bout radioactive emitted from phone gonna ruin our lives so they wanna phase out the telco towers in campus...i still hv yet to hear any talk about it inside campus so hopefully it's jz something random...

manglish said...

hahaaha exactly....we are so dependent on handphones har even when we dont use it that much we still keep them close....

Unknown said...

i can imagine my days without handphone haha


[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

Pike-chan said...

Mobile phone is already becoming a necessity... for easier communication.

成亿 said...

manglish: actually, handphone oso a bit outdated d...nowadays, ppl used blackberry, iphone, etc...so high tech d...

jino: so am i...cant sms or call wherever, whenever you want...

pikey: yes it is...no longer a want but a need...

Kris said...

they're going to get rid of your cellphone service on campus?? how can we survive without our phones now these days? it'll be a lot harder to communicate...is the plan going through for sure?

成亿 said...

reali right? handphone is like, a must right now...hmm, i still haven heard of any movement of getting rid of telco towers but maybe the news jz eclipsed my ears...