Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bodyguards and Assassins

Wow. I liked this movie. It's one of a very few Chinese movies I watched in the cinema and I really liked it. Usually, I skipped most of the Chinese movies because it's most likely gangster flicks, slapstick comedies, or martial arts movies. While this is mainly a action/martial art movie, there's a whole new thing in it. There's characters that I actually liked and cared about.


Featuring who's who in the Chinese entertainment industry such as Tony Leung Ka Fai, Eric Tsang, Donnie Yen, Nicholas Tse, Leon Lai, Fan Bingbing, Wang Xueqi, and so many more, it's one heck of an epic film. Besides the superstars in the movie, it also had the largest set in the Chinese entertainment history. According to what I read, they built a replica of Hong Kong in the 1900 for the film.

It tells a tale of 6 noble person who sacrificed their lives to protect Dr Sun in Hong Kong from the assassins sent by the Qing Dynasty during the early days of China. The theme of sacrificing for your country is hard to miss. I mean, almost all who die in the movie were doing it for their country, in one way or another. It was heart-wrenching to watch one by one died in the movie. And add to the fact that this is based on true historical event is even more hard for us to not to acknowledge that China been through a lot to get to the stage they're in right now. It's a great learning experience for me, knowing another piece of Chinese history. Glad that I went for the movie.

1 comment:

manglish said...

sound nice....:) happy new year :)